Dragon 2 Mechanical Engineer (Interior Structures)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
DRAGON 2 MECHANICAL ENGINEER (INTERIOR STRUCTURES)
As a Dragon 2 Mechanical Engineer, you will be a direct contributor to the first privatized manned spacecraft and you will have the opportunity work with your team to advance humankind’s reach in the universe, challenging the status quo. You’ll be responsible for the design and development of several components of the capsule interior while also resolving complex engineering problems.
- Drive the design and development of interior structures for our current and next-generation launch vehicles
- Perform due diligence analysis on designs including hand calculations, FEA, and CAD in a rapidly changing environment
- Lead design reviews internally and participate in reviews with suppliers and customers
- Be responsible for the prototype delivery timeline from early design through production, launch, and recovery
- Exemplify technical excellence and be accountable for your own work
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- Experience with CAD and FEA software packages
- 2+ years of experience leading the design and development of structural components in a manufacturing environment
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in an engineering discipline
- Experience with NX
- Hands-on project experience, preferably as a team or sub-system team lead
- Experience designing interior parts and components on board a high-performance vehicle.
- Proactive problem-solving skills such as failure analysis, root cause investigation, and DOE creation
- Exceptional written and verbal communication with an emphasis on interpersonal and organizational skills
- Must be willing to work long hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here here
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.