Lead Composites Technician - 1st Shift
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Lead Composites Technician – Dragon - 1st Shift
- Coordinate shop floor activity, establish and monitor daily schedules, assign work based on individual technician skillset, and monitor the workflow of the team.
- Accomplish production results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraisal of job results.
- Hold primary responsibility for maintaining accurate work order status, including entering of required data and notes, and overseeing individual technician adherence to processes and instructions as documented in work orders and specifications.
- Trimming and finishing of composite and composite metallic assemblies and assembly of structures including setup, bonding and fastener applications. Perform product inspection and rework as required.
- Work per engineering drawings as well as both written and verbal instructions, and work with engineers to develop composite hardware fabrication and assembly processes/tooling.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a composites role in a manufacturing environment.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- SpaceX experience preferred.
- 3 years of experience with layup, bonding or assembly of composites components and structures.
- Experience with composite tooling materials (prepreg, wet layup, etc.).
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings - understanding of drawing symbols, flag notes and general notes.
- Experience with various types of hand tools or hand-held power tools.
- Previous experience in a leadership role in a manufacturing environment.
- Familiarity with GD&T.
- Experience with lean manufacturing principles and methodology.
- Must be willing to work all shift hours, overtime and weekends, as needed.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs. unassisted.
- Standing for long periods of time, climbing up and down ladders, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, and stretching are generally required to perform the functions of this position.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.