Manager, Environmental Health & Safety
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANAGER, ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY – MCGREGOR, TEXAS
This position requires a dedicated Environmental Health and Safety professional who will be able to use their skill, knowledge and experience to further our Environmental Health and Safety programs within our fast-paced work environment that includes operations have never been attempted before!
Assume responsibility for managing environmental and safety-related compliance for our McGregor Texas-based Rocket Development Facility.
The Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Manager will:
- Manage the day-to-day and long-term activities/priorities of the EHS team which will include a combination of technicians, specialists and engineers
- Coordinate employee schedules, work assignments, time keeping requirements, and hiring
- Provide instructional guidance of job assignments, correct procedures and applicable techniques to perform specific skills; ensure accuracy and completion
- Coordinate with site leadership to ensure appropriate EHS involvement in department development/modification plans and procedure development
- Ensure mission and values are communicated to the team and are integrated within team goals, objectives, and work tasks
- Review and approve purchase orders, and manage operational budget
- Represent the EHS department at site wide management meetings/briefings
- Manage processes, programs and documentation as outlined by OSHA standards which include but are not limited to:
- Job hazard analyses and personal protective equipment (PPE) assessments
- Site Industrial Hygiene program
- Confined Space Entry program
- Fall Protection program
- Lock-out/ Tag-out program
- Respiratory Protection program
- Lifting/Rigging program
- Electrical Safety program
- Emergency response and safety contingency planning
- Maintain, develop or implement site specific environmental policies which include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for hazardous and non-hazardous waste management, including the Department of Transportation (DOT) and Resource conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
- Air permitting
- Pollution prevention
- Spill prevention/response
- Storm water management
- Waste water
- Ensure a collaborative relationship with the EHS teams located at other SpaceX facilities and standardize programs and materials across the sites as appropriate
- Perform final Quality Assurance/Quality Check of all EHS related documentation, this can include, but is not limited to, local/state/federal permit applications, local/state/federal reporting documentation, incident reporting, training program materials, and facility policies and procedures
- Address any deficiencies for the various programs onsite
- Ensure that all required environmental and safety logs, reports, and inspection records are being completed and filed as appropriate
- Assume signatory responsibility, where appropriate, on relevant local, state and federal permit applications/renewals and act as site liaison for local, state and federal agencies
- Implement and manage environmental and safety compliance and due diligence audits
- Manage consultants, including soliciting proposals, reviewing bids, contract negotiations, overseeing work assignments, reviewing deliverables, and billing
- Bachelor’s degree
- 6+ years of experience in the design, development, and general operational oversight of EHS disciplines
- 5 years of demonstrated EHS management experience
- Experience working in aerospace industry
- Bachelor of Science in engineering with an emphasis in occupational health and safety, environmental engineering or system safety engineering
- Basic knowledge of South Coast Air Quality Management District requirements or policies
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.