Lead Manufacturing Engineer - Avionics Test Lab
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LEAD MANUFACTURING ENGINEER – AVIONICS TEST LAB
- Lead a team of Manufacturing Engineers and Test Lab Analysts in the production-level testing environment
- Develop capabilities and manufacturing engineering initiatives to support continuously improving manufacturing performance in the short-term and over a multi-year horizon
- Work closely with Responsible Engineers and Production Test Labs to ensure a testable product is being developed and influence design to increase product reliability and test coverage. Make recommendations for design, process improvements, and data collection
- Aggressively drive improvements in production methods, standards, tooling, equipment, layout, procedures, product designs and employee efficiency to reduce labor costs and maximize quality
- Continually develop capacity plans in order to support customer vehicle manifest as well as a diverse and variable R&D demand
- Create collaborative business plans with Design Engineering teams, implement DFM feedback to improve the product and reduce the labor hours per vehicle
- Institute department-wide manufacturing and production metrics, to measure and then optimize productivity in all areas
- Develop, manage and execute capital/operating expenditure plans as forecasted, adapting to changes in planning and future opportunities for improvement
- Ensure policies, practices, and procedures are understood and followed by direct reports
- Provide guidance to test engineering development test architectures
- Coach and support professional development of direct reports
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, aerospace, or electrical engineering
- 3 years of experience in a manufacturing, fabrication, assembly or testing environment
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Software experience with Python and LabVIEW
- High degree of comfort on the factory floor, working to identify and execute efficiency improvements in all aspects of production and manufacturing
- A proven track record of leadership and team building within a rapidly changing environment
- Hands-on environmental testing (vibration, thermal, shock or thermal vacuum) or electro-mechanical testing experience
- Proven ability to apply Six-Sigma, Kaizen and 5S techniques to improve manufacturability
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Position may require extended hours and weekend work
- Will sometimes be working directly with the hardware on the floor and will have to be comfortable stooping, bending, and standing
- Must be willing to travel up to 10%
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.