Quality Assurance Manager - Machining Operations
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Quality Assurance Manager – Machining Operations
SpaceX is looking for a highly motivated Quality Manager with extensive CNC mill/lathe, sheet metal, and composite experience in the precision machining industry. Reporting to the Director of Production Machining, this position requires experience in managing the manufacturing quality assurance process, implementing process strategy and improvement, overseeing direct & indirect Quality and Engineering workforce, and collaborating with engineering staff to assist with technical capabilities. This person will use his/her experience with machine practices and quality background to help rapidly resolve problems that arises in production in conjunction with the Production, Engineering, and Build Reliability.
As the Machining Operations Quality team supports all areas of SpaceX, the Quality Assurance Manager would build an extensive network within Design Engineering, Build Reliability, and Production, and a deep understanding of SpaceX systems and processes. This experience would enable the candidate to become a critical voice in the development of group and company strategy.
It is essential for the candidate to have the understanding on how to modernize the machining approach and identify and implement new inspection technology; furthermore the candidate must possess the capability to develop and implement best practice and state of the art solutions to enable “lights-out” operations where appropriate in the machine shop.
- Take responsibility for validation of conformance and precision measurement of product manufactured from the SpaceX internal machine shops
- Minimizes company risk and maintains compliance in area of quality, environment, health and safety
- Assist in root cause investigations when quality issues do arise. Communicate findings and train staff on improvements or preventative measures
- Be a crucial voice in the refinement, interpretation, documentation, and communication of SpaceX’s quality control philosophy to key personnel within company
- Establish manufacturing test/inspection procedures, which ensure component/assembly integrity and reliability are never called into question and mission reliability is placed ahead of all other requirements
- Develops and implement business processes to achieve high performance of Quality, Delivery, and Cost through transparent reporting of key performance metrics for all aspects of Machining Quality to ensure increased yield, inspection efficiency and associated cost savings, with engagement of the entire machining team
- Identifies and develops talent within the organization
- Support & develop a highly dynamic, dependable and efficient Inspection operation that fosters versatility, cross-training, operational vigor, and customer obsession to serve the need of the machining operation
- Create collaborative business plans with strategic vendors and negotiates strategies and programs by developing and maintaining positive vendor relationships
- Participate in design for Assembly/Manufacturing activities in order to influence product designs appropriately
- Ability to advance the operation with relevant tooling, inspection media, software, equipment monitoring and automation solutions
- Further develop statistical process control approach in order to deliver process and part reliability and associated efficient inspection frequencies and processes
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, operations, business, supply chain, or similar technical field
- Minimum of 5 years managerial experience in manufacturing environment
- Minimum 1 year of experience in a quality assurance role
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Proven record of effective machining modernization with leading manufacturing enterprise, which operates in a high-volume, precision environment
- Deep knowledge of advanced machining technology (horizontal / vertical / 5 Axis / Pallet Systems) and manufacturing quality assurance procedures
- Metrology expertise, CMM techniques and language (PCDMIS), Romer Arm, manual dimensional measurement methods
- High level of expertise in GD&T symbols and their intent and the selection of the correct inspection technique and equipment
- ISO9001/AS9100/9102 (First Article Inspection) experience
- Experience in quality engineering, auditing, quality management system development
- Ability to modernize the machining approach, utilizing best practice and state of the art solutions to enable “lights-out” operations where appropriate
- Excellent project management, team building and written and verbal communication skills
- High computer literacy – ability to use Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Ability to operate autonomously and self-direct
- Ability to drive innovation, execute plans and to think creatively
- Able to adapt to constant changing work assignments and fast paced work environment
- Lean Six Sigma background and certification
- SQL coding
- Must be available to work overtime and weekends
- Must be available for up to 10% travel
- Ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- Position may involve long hours and weekend work as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.