Lead Welder (Tooling)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LEAD WELDER (TOOLING)
- Perform welding assembly and fabrication on various medium to large-scale structures and assemblies
- Oversee day-to-day team needs (i.e. parts, tools, consumables)
- Monitor and implement area safety requirements and improvements including handling and disposing of hazardous materials in approved manner
- Train personnel on proper procedures, identify and task team members appropriately to their level as well as develop skills of team members
- Set and accomplish daily production goals in accordance with overall department delivery goals
- Communicate with engineering staff and planners to achieve build efficiency
- Check work after completion of each operation in job and/or completed job to ensure it is complete per drawing
- High school diploma or GED
- 5 years of experience with TIG welding
- Experience welding stainless steel, carbon steel, and aluminum
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- SpaceX experience
- Proficient in blue print reading and layout
- Proficient in MIG and TIG welding and plasma cutting
- Knowledge and experience completing welds that pass visual before being X-rayed or dye pinned
- Certification with AWS D1.1 and D1.2
- Experience working with overhead cranes and forklifts
- Must be able to work all required shift hours, overtime and weekends, as needed
- Ability to lift 25 lbs., lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- Ability to work while standing on lifts and ladders
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.