Industrial Engineer (Production Spend Focus)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
INDUSTRIAL ENGINEER (PRODUCTION SPEND FOCUS)
As an Industrial Engineer (Production Spend Focus) at SpaceX you will be responsible for steering production teams to achieve the required rate of production needed to meet our busy launch manifest. You will be responsible for the development of metrics and tools to track and reduce costs. You will be responsible for the development of metrics and tools to track and audit capital equipment expenditures. You will be responsible for completing process improvement projects within production areas.
- Cost Reduction
- Assist in the reduction of production labor hours and purchased consumables
- Develop a strong understanding into hours per vehicle
- Provide analysis and recommendations to production areas on headcount forecasting and lead time planning to support required demand and minimize inventory levels
- Develop cross-departmental relationships with Procurement and Accounting groups to streamline communication and improvements
- Assist in the development of tools to analyze capacity, quality and cost criteria for making insourcing/outsourcing decisions on production processes as well as support and service functions
- Assist in the development of detailed Activity Based Costing strategies and drive improvements to product costing accuracy
- Production Steering
- Develop and steer production leadership and operational teams towards metric achievement in the areas of labor utilization, labor efficiency, hours per vehicle, industrial gas usage, and consumables expenditures
- Analyze and challenge existing procedures and bureaucracy within areas of responsibility throughout the facility, making recommendations, and working with production management to enact solutions
- Establish time standards for SpaceX fabrication, assembly, integration, testing and quality operations
- Rate Achievement
- Highlight bottlenecks and support implementing solutions
- Conduct process and vendor capability studies to determine rate readiness
- Line balance processes to reduce excess capacity and level workload across workstations
- Implement process improvements to reduce process cycle times and idle times
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering
- 2 years of experience as an industrial or manufacturing engineer in a manufacturing environment
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with SQL, Tableau, Power BI, Unigraphics (NX/UGS), Teamcenter , SCADA, JMP
- Experience with tracking, auditing, and driving improvements with regard to capital equipment expenditures.
- Completion of one or more six sigma green belt improvement projects
- Experience with developing Activity Based Costing strategies and applying them
- Experience with analyzing capacity, quality and cost criteria for sourcing decisions (make/buy decisions for production processes and support services)
- Experience with tracking, forecasting, and driving reductions in the consumption of industrial gasses
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills and the ability to lead cross-functional teams
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to effectively communicate with both leadership and entry level technicians
- Familiarity with the process of purchasing contract review
- BasicMOST Certified, with experience performing BasicMOST time studies
- Must be open to working long hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000. Ability to work directly with the hardware on the floor and being comfortable stooping, bending, and standing
Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as necessary.