Quality Specialist - Merlin Rocket Engine
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Quality Specialist – Merlin Rocket Engine
The Quality Specialist is a key part of every production work center. Our Quality Specialists are always on the shop floor and have a direct impact on manufacturing and quality processes, so we look for technical, hands-on people who are passionate about building awesome products.
- Support Gauge R&R studies to ensure measurement system is capable for the application.
- Work with production areas and internal customers to provide training to technicians for repeat failures and escapes.
- Work closely with technicians, inspectors, build reliability, manufacturing engineers, and production management to identify and support continuous improvement initiatives.
- Provide guidance to quality inspectors, techs, and shop supervisors to assist in quarantining of all suspect product.
- Partner with Build Reliability to identify areas of concern and implement improvements to inspection techniques and develop and standardize inspection guidelines and criteria.
- Support Quality Management System policies and procedure documentation.
- Conduct detailed in-process and final inspections to launch vehicle components, using detailed drawings, CAD models, and established processes to verify conformance to design requirements.
- Ensure rationale and documentation of design deviation is captured.
- Provide support for all issue tickets in your respective area.
- Manage the physical movement of hardware through the MRB cages and ensure appropriate control of its inventory.
- Communicate status of evaluation and disposition to production leadership on a regular basis.
- Bachelor’s degree or 4 years of experience in a quality, inspection, or manufacturing role.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to identify and maintain priorities for tasks and projects.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, cross-functional environment, both independently and with a team.
- Strong communication and technical skills.
- Proactive, self-motivated, driven, and committed to a team approach.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with AS 9100, ISO 9001, ISO/TS 16949, ISO 13485, or similar Quality Management System.
- Practical experience with GD&T and skillful use of metrology tools and gages.
- Knowledge of quality tools such as lean principles, Six Sigma, root cause analysis and corrective action, advanced product quality planning (APQP), metrology, process failure mode and effects analysis (PFMEA), control plans, and various problem solving approaches.
- Able to lift up to 25lbs. unassisted.
- Able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours minimum.
- Able to stoop, bend, crawl, and maneuver in tight spaces.
- Able to work all shift hours, overtime, and weekend as needed.
- Up to 5% travel.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.