Manufacturing Engineer II - Tooling (Supplier Development)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER II - TOOLING (SUPPLIER DEVELOPMENT)
- Manage the build and delivery of production and R&D tooling by utilizing both internal fabrication resources and external supplier bases
- Provide fabrication project management for up to 40 projects simultaneously to ensure schedule and cost adherence starting in the design phase of a project and ending upon successful implementation of the hardware
- Create cost and schedule estimates for piece parts and assemblies
- Work with tool designers to optimize manufacturability
- Interpret technical documents (2D drawings) from engineering and envision potential sequence and methods of manufacture
- Create, revise, and maintain planning and procurement documents to produce parts and components which conform to design configuration and specifications
- Obtain and negotiate proposals from an established supplier base
- Prepare and execute purchase order contracts with suppliers, including machined components, weldments, heat-treating and plating
- Monitor status of supplier work and ensure timely delivery of goods and services
- Resolve manufacturing, supplier quality, and invoice issues
- Support the overall sourcing strategies, negotiations and documenting of contracts and agreements
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical, aerospace, electrical, or software engineering
- Minimum of 3 years of engineering experience in a manufacturing or construction environment
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in mechanical, aerospace, electrical, or software engineering
- 4 years of engineering experience in a manufacturing or construction environment
- Experience in a supply chain role involving supplier relations
- Knowledge of common manufacturing techniques (welding, machining, assembly)
- Practical experience with GD&T
- Familiarity with contracts
- Strong engineering design fundamentals including stress analysis hand calculations
- Experience with SQL and understanding of statistical methods
- Must be open to working long hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.