Dragon Recovery Operations Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
DRAGON RECOVERY OPERATIONS ENGINEER
- Manufacture, build, install and activate Crew and Cargo Dragon recovery systems (mechanical, fluid and electrical)
- Lead a team during recovery missions at sea to recover the Crew and Cargo Dragon capsules
- Perform upkeep and preventative maintenance to keep all systems ready for use between recovery missions
- Improve upon current Dragon recovery methods – find ways to make it cheaper, faster, safer, more efficient, and more reliable
- Write work orders and procedures to develop a reliable and consistent approach to Crew and Cargo Dragon recovery operations
- Interface with NASA and the Coast Guard to certify systems for use in the field
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 2+ years of hands-on experience building, maintaining, and modifying equipment
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience using a high-end CAD software design package (e.g. NX, CATIA, ProE)
- Experience designing mechanical, fluid or electrical systems
- Testing experience, including setting test objectives, writing test plans, and hands-on testing
- Experience operating and troubleshooting remote-operated ground control systems
- Experience with critical operations where real-time decision making affected success criteria
- Experience working with technicians, welders or machinists
- Marine experience
- Must be willing to travel and spend time at sea on a ship
- Must be willing to work long hours and weekends as needed
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.