Systems Development Engineer
SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
The Systems Development Engineer will be a member of the Texas Test Reliability Team. In the near-term this role will be responsible for developing and improving the business processes that enable the Rocket Development Facility to design and fabricate test equipment and perform testing activities. The future vision for this role is focused on solving any organizational and strategic problems that enable the test site to better accomplish its mission. This person will have freedom to shape and influence this vision.
- Near Term
- Develop, implement, and continuously improve business processes needed for test equipment design, procurement, fabrication, inventory, validation, maintenance, and use
- Develop business use cases and software requirements for improvements to our Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system
- Generate training and oversee deployment of new business processes
- Develop design engineering user manuals / best practices across a broad spectrum of disciplines, including structural, fluid, data and controls, and power systems engineering
- Collaborate across disciplines including engineering, production, test, launch, enterprise resource planning, supply chain, quality, and management to ensure efficiency and consistency across the organization
- Long Term
- Develop and implement a strategic plan to directly improve test quality at SpaceX
- Identify and address organizational problems within the Texas Rocket Development Facility and SpaceX
- Tackle new projects at the discretion of the site director
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering field
- 3 years of engineering experience in design, build, or operations environment
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 10 years of experience in multidisciplinary engineering roles ranging from individual technical contribution to project management
- Experience developing PLM (Product Lifecycle Management) and ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning)
- Project management experience, particularly related to creating or overhauling cross-functional business processes in a cradle to grave engineering environment
- Design and fabrication experience in any of the following fields: structural, fluid, data and controls, and power systems engineering
- Test engineering experience, particularly with aerospace products
- Proactive, self-motivated, driven, and committed to a team approach
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, cross-functional environment, both independently and with a team
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships across disciplines and with multiple levels of management
- Strong communication and technical skills
- Flight hardware is typically built in tight quarters and physical dexterity is required
- Physical effort including sitting or standing for extended periods of time, lifting and carrying weight such as materials or equipment up to 30 lbs unassisted
- Work performed in an environment with exposure to fumes, odors and noise
- Occasionally exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments (heat, cold, rain)
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends, which varies depending on site operational needs; flexibility required
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.