Space Suit Sewer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SPACE SUIT SEWER
As a space suit sewer at SpaceX, you will contribute to history by creating space suits for our future missions. You will create space suits that are designed with three main goals: to be comfortable, functional and have an innovative design.
- Work with the space suit team to develop apparel and accessories
- Sew space suits from cut pieces to completion on industrial sewing machines
- Maintain and adjust machine settings for optimal sewing quality
- At least 5 years of tailoring experience
- Prior work in an industrial apparel manufacturing firm, theatre or costume shop
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Formal training in apparel patternmaking or fashion design from an accredited college, university or trade school in which college credit, a certification or BFA/BA/AA in fashion design was issued
- Experience working with technical fabrics and various types of bonding methodologies
- Experience in seam sealing using an industrial hot air sealing machine
- Experience in flight suit manufacturing
- Able to stand for extended periods and work with a variety of chemicals
- Able to bend, kneel, balance, climb, stoop and crouch on a regular basis to adjust settings on machinery and move materials and tools as needed
- Ability to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.