SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
We are seeking individuals thrilled to produce parts, and components of tooling assemblies and ground support equipment which conform to design configuration and specifications by programming, setting up, and operating different machines. This position will also be maintaining equipment and supplies that support all phases of launching the most advanced rockets in the world! If you enjoy hands-on development work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, this position is for you!
- Study sample parts, blueprints, drawings, and engineering information in order to determine methods and sequences of operations needed to fabricate products, and determine product dimensions and tolerances, machine parts to specifications using machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, grinders, waterjet and router
- Support metalworking projects from planning and fabrication through assembly, inspection, and testing, using knowledge of machine functions, metal properties and mathematics
- Machine precision fixtures, tools and products from drawings, in accordance with established procedures, with limited supervision
- Set up machines to precise tolerances and operate various types of machinery following established procedures
- Cut, trim, or scarf metal objects, fit and fabricate metal components to dimensions for building and assembling test site structural forms
- Measure, examine, and test completed units in order to detect defects and ensure conformance to specifications, using precision instruments such as micrometers, surface plates, and height gages
- Set up and operate metalworking and cutting equipment; monitor the feed and speed of machines during the machining process
- Maintain industrial machines by applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures
- Clean and lubricate machines, tools, and equipment in order to remove grease, rust, stains, and foreign matter
- Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as micrometers and calipers
- Maintain inventory of common stock materials
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment
- High school diploma or GED
- 10 years of experience in both manual and CNC machining
- Both programing and operating experience
PREFERRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with 5-axis machining
- 2+ years of experience using Mastercam software
- Ability to read, interpret, and create blueprints and schematics
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting
- Aptitude in spatial reasoning, attention to detail, and skilled craftsmanship
- Knowledge of the operation of conventional and CNC lathes, conventional and CNC milling machines, drill presses, grinders, waterjet, routers and other related equipment
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body
- Ability to lift up to 35lbs unassisted
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Must be available for overtime and weekends as the schedule varies depending on site operational needs; flexibility is required.
- A valid driver’s license
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.