Manufacturing Engineer (Welding Processes)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
WELDING MANUFACTURING ENGINEER (PROPULSION ASSEMBLY)
- Develop weld processes/parameters for various components
- Work closely with design/development engineers for joint design of R&D components
- Set up welding qualification tests and interpret the results including inspecting weld samples and/or working with non-destructive test (NDT) personnel to interpret weld quality
- Design, develop, and implement tooling for use in a production environment
- Support day-to-day production of welded components
- Resolve manufacturing discrepancies and interface with the quality team to implement efficient corrective actions
- Identify, plan, and execute capital equipment, machine and layout upgrades to meet production demand
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, aerospace, or welding engineering
- 1 year of professional aluminum or steel welding experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in mechanical, aerospace, or welding engineering
- Experience with fabrication, assembly, and/or testing
- Welding experience: weld joint design, weld joint prep, weld schedule development and qualifications, non-destructive examination, weld tooling and set up
- Experience with electron beam welding, orbital tube welding, and GTAW
- Tooling design experience
- Experience with test methods/setups and data acquisition systems
- Position may require long hours and weekend work
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.