Production Manager, Avionics Electromechanical Production
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PRODUCTION MANAGER, AVIONICS ELECTROMECHANICAL PRODUCTION
- Manage a Production organization tasked with delivering high quality Avionics hardware for launch vehicle and spacecraft assembly operations.
- Deliver anomaly free Avionics hardware to the vehicle integration groups to ensure continued mission success.
- Grow the capability of the Surface Mount Technology, Electromechanical Assembly and Electromechanical Integration groups to improve quality, improve efficiency, lower cost and improve delivery performance.
- Forecast and manage resource needs including head count, operating expenditure and capital expenditure for an electronics fabrication and assembly line.
- Maintain a healthy internal production capacity by leveraging external contract manufacturing.
- Prepare forecasting for future manufacturing demands and formulate a comprehensive manufacturing plan including make/buy decisions, vendor qualification/support and design of in-house production system in order to meet quality/reliability requirements, cost, schedule and throughput.
- Establish a high performing culture with an attention to safety, morale, and lean manufacturing planning and execution.
- Develop strong working relationships with internal customers and business partners to further improve the end to end process for driving concept design to realization.
- Drive the development/continuous improvement of production procedures/processes, and manage the transition of parts and assemblies from 1 off rate to batch rate production.
- Resolve manufacturing discrepancies and determine true root cause through to solution implementation.
- Develop and implement process metrics to demonstrate process stability and process improvement.
- Drive DFM learning back into the Design Team to improve the product and reduce the engineering hours per vehicle.
- Provide DFX feedback to engineering on printed circuit board, mechanical, harness/interconnect and integration design.
- Provide real time engineering support during initial manufacturing runs to handle non-conformances and capture improvements for product stabilization prior to production release.
- Positively impact and improve every aspect of life at SpaceX through motivational leadership to drive the business forward.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering
- 4+ years of professional management experience in a manufacturing environment working within a recognized quality system (e.g. AS9100, ISO9001)
- 1+ years of professional experience developing and managing multi-disciplined technician teams in high tech manual and automated production environments.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s in engineering, management, or equivalent.
- Experience modeling with 3D CAD software (for example – NX/Unigraphics, Catia, Solidworks) and familiarity with Altium Designer (or other PCB/PCBA design software)
- Experience building and leading teams of engineering professionals in a fast-paced, high technology field.
- Experience with the manufacturing processes for microelectronics, RF components, and end-to-end printed circuit board fabrication and assembly, including a strong understanding of soldering (SMT & through hole) and post processing manufacturing processes.
- Demonstrated professional experience providing engineering and manufacturing support for the production of highly complex electronic and mechanical products.
- Experience in fast-paced iterative design environments transitioning products from design to manufacturing as part of a cross-functional team, either within the consumer electronics, mobile handset, medical devices, aerospace, automotive industries, or equivalent.
- Knowledge of automated electronics test methods, such as flying probes or bed of nails, and demonstrated experience implementing “Design For Manufacture” and “Design For Test”.
- Experience with statistical process control such as Six Sigma or Lean Six Sigma, and experience identifying and analyzing production process improvements for rate and quality.
- Experience working directly with 1st and 2nd tier, high volume contract houses.
- Working proficiency with each of the following: DFMEA and PFMEA methodology and implementation; Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing; and interpreting and implementing IPC manufacturing standards such as J-STD-001 and IPC-A-610.
- Knowledge of ERP systems, Work Order creation/management and BOM Structures, and basic competency with SQL databases.
- Demonstrated capability to solve complex problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Hands-on engineer with a passion for continuous improvement and building the best hardware, with a passion for advancing the commercial space industry.
- Must be willing to travel as needed.
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.