Manufacturing Engineer (Falcon Tank Manufacturing)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER (FALCON TANK MANUFACTURING)
- Own the launch vehicle’s first and second stage tank manufacturing processes
- Responsible for developing and qualifying new processes to take products from development to production
- Influence cross-functional teams with design for manufacturability to improve manufacturing processes
- Resolve manufacturing discrepancies and interface with the quality team to implement efficient corrective actions
- Find and eliminate process waste, streamline production process and enable continuous improvement
- Identify, plan, and execute capital equipment, machine, and layout upgrades to the meet volume production demand
- Assist design engineering in identification, testing, and selection of tank joining processes
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, electrical, aerospace engineering, or engineering physics
- Minimum 1 year of metallic manufacturing experience such as: machining, welding, drilling, and automation
- 2+ years of collegiate extracurricular engineering project experience, such as Formula SAE, Baja SAE, design build fly tea, OR 2+ years of industry product design/development experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with large metallic structures manufacturing processes
- Hands on machining experience
- Expertise in design for manufacturability and design for assembly, successfully taking products from development to production
- CAD experience (NX & Teamcenter is a plus)
- PLC troubleshooting and programming experience with Allen Bradley and/or Siemens technology
- This is a hands-on position that may require standing for up to 4 hours a day and working directly with hardware on the floor
- Must be comfortable stooping, bending, and standing
- Position may require long hours and weekend work
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.