Space Suit Design Engineer
Space Exploration Technologies
Work to advance the course of human history and pave the way to Mars.
SpaceX is a US based advanced technology company founded by residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk. SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up including cutting edge electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engine systems. The Falcon Launch Vehicle and Dragon Spacecraft programs are some of the most ambitious engineering systems in the world, designed to support our ultimate goals of aviation-like spaceflight capability and making humanity a multi-planet species.
"SpaceX is like Special Forces… we do the missions that others think are impossible. We have goals that are absurdly ambitious, but we're going to make them happen. We have the potential here at SpaceX to have an incredible effect on the future of humanity and life itself."
– Elon Musk
If you’re undaunted by the impossible, actively seeking out insanely challenging projects under tight schedules, and want to work with a remarkable organization pushing the envelope of human exploration, then you will want to be part of the SpaceX legacy.
We are actively seeking the brightest minds from all industries and technologies to continue building our world class team. Please visit spacex.com for additional information.
Space Suit Design Engineer
- Participate as a member of the design team for the Dragon spacecraft crew systems.
- Provide technical direction regarding space suit design tradeoffs and propose novel solutions to technical challenges.
- Provide technical direction regarding space suit interfaces with the other crew systems including seats, environmental controls and life support, search and rescue equipment, communications and displays and controls.
- Perform detailed space suit design, analysis, and development testing as part of design cycles
- Prepare space suit qualification and acceptance test plans and procedures
- B.S. degree in a related field of engineering.
- A minimum 2 years of experience designing and manufacturing structural and/or composite hardware.
- Experience using Unigraphics or related CAD software.
- Must be self-motivated with strong organizational and written & oral communication skills
- Experience and knowledge regarding all space suit components and systems.
- Experience and knowledge regarding space suit manufacturing techniques and materials.
- Ability to conduct detailed technical and cost trades for spacesuit systems.
- Familiarity with a wide variety of both historical and developmental spacesuit designs.
- Familiarity with fluid systems and components
- Innovative and creative but also achievable design philosophy.
- Technical experience with other crew systems and equipment.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.