Elon Musk - CEO and Chief Designer
Elon Musk is the CEO and Chief Designer of Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) and the CEO and Product Architect of Tesla Motors.
At SpaceX, Elon is the chief designer, overseeing development of rockets and spacecraft for missions to Earth orbit and ultimately to other planets. The SpaceX Falcon 1 was the first privately developed liquid fuel rocket to reach orbit. In 2008, SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon spacecraft won the NASA contract to provide a commercial replacement for the cargo transport function of the Space Shuttle, which retired in 2011. In 2010, SpaceX became the first commercial company to successfully recover a spacecraft from Earth orbit with its Dragon spacecraft. And in 2012, SpaceX’s Dragon spacecraft became the first commercial vehicle to successfully attach to the International Space Station and return cargo to Earth.
At Tesla, Elon has overseen product development and design since the beginning for the all-electric Tesla Roadster, Model S and Model X. Transitioning to a sustainable energy economy, in which electric vehicles play a pivotal role, has been one of his central interests for almost two decades, stemming from his time as a physics student working on ultracapacitors in Silicon Valley.
In addition, Elon is the non-executive chairman and principal shareholder of SolarCity, which he helped create. SolarCity is now the leading provider of solar power systems in the United States.
Prior to SpaceX, Elon co-founded PayPal, the world's leading Internet payment system, and served as the company's Chairman and CEO. Before PayPal, Mr. Musk co-founded Zip2, a provider of Internet software to the media industry.
He has a physics degree from the University of Pennsylvania and a business degree from Wharton.
- Elon Musk of SpaceX: The Goal is Mars
Los Angeles Times, August 1, 2012
- A Pioneer in Space and On Earth
CNN, June 11, 2012
- SpaceX: Entrepreneur's race to space
CBS 60 Minutes, June 3, 2012
- Elon Musk Extended Interview Part 1, Part 2
The Daily Show, April 2012
- Elon Musk on SpaceX's Reusable Rocket Plans
Popular Mechanics, February 7, 2012
- Is SpaceX changing the rocket equation?
Air & Space Magazine, January 12, 2012
- Elon Musk And SpaceX Are Launching a New Era of Private Spaceflight
Popular Mechanics, October 3, 2011
- Elon Musk Profiled: Bloomberg Risk Takers
Bloomberg, August 2011
- The Colbert Report: Elon Musk
The Colbert Report, July 28, 2010
- Elon Musk on the Business Model for Mars
- Elon Musk on Investing in Making Life Multi-Planetary
- Elon Musk on US Competitiveness
- Elon Musk on the Importance of Reusability
- Elon Musk on Fully, Rapidly Reusable Rockets
- Falcon Heavy Press Conference with Elon Musk